7/14/2009

Work in Progress- Mums shoes


So after I finished my husband's McBeths my mother wanted a pair of her own. So she went out and bought these plain white canvas shoes. They're basic edition brand, so they're pretty cheap. They only cost her ten USD + tax.


I'm still working on them, I started just last night and worked till the sun came up. I've had them sitting by my bed for about a week now. It's always hard to start on a new project. That white canvas always feel so daunting. So I let them sit. I doodled on paper what I might do on the shoes. I was so afraid to do something wrong or something my mother wouldn't like. But eventually I picked them up and just went for it. So far, I'm liking the results.


So far I have learned that painting on cheap shoes is much harder than on expensive shoes. Seeing as expensive shoes have a tighter knit, it is much easier for the pen/marker to roll on them without having any in between white dots. But on cheap shoes the fabric is thick and woven loosely. Making it hard for ink to stick. It leaves a lot of blank dots in between.


On the up side, the ink bleeds a lot more on the cheaper shoes than on the expensive shoes, making color blending much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment